There is much confusion surrounding the hymen.
Although hymen problems rarely cause penetration difficulties, they are often suspected due to the anatomical location (usually it is vaginismus that causes problems with penetration). More information about the hymen can be found in the articles Could my hymen be causing my problem? and If my hymen is still intact, will using the trainers break it and will this hurt?. Other resources are referenced below:
Medical Studies & Articles
- Adams Hillard, P. Imperforate hymen. Available from http://emedicine.com/med/topic3329.htm.
- Curtis, E., & Lazaro, C. (1999). Appearance of the hymen in adolescents not well documented [Letter]. BMJ, 318, 605.
- Emans, J., Woods, E., Allred, E., & Grace, E. (1994). Hymenal findings in adolescent women: Impact of tampon use and consensual sexual activity. J Pediatr, 125, 153-160.
- Rogers, D., & Stark, M. (1998). The hymen is not necessarily torn after sexual intercourse [Letter]. BMJ, 317, 414.
- Shanahan, K. Surgery for imperforate hymen.